The two guns were installed in early 1941 at Fort Bedford on Cross Hill overlooking Georgetown. The guns are believed to have seen service during the Second World War- in December 1941, they participated in a bombardment which helped to drive away German u-boat U-124. The guns remained in service until 1953.
The following 30 years saw the guns fall into an extreme state of disrepair. Their historical significance was not fully realised until the Falkland Islands War. It was at that time when visiting RAF servicemen realised what the guns were and undertook a detailed and thorough programme to restore the guns. Shortly thereafter, in 1984, the guns came under the care of the Ascension Island Historical Society. The society has done an excellent job in preserving and maintaining Fort Bedford to this very day.
- You can learn more about the 1980s restoration here.
- Click here to visit Ascension Island's official home page.
Photos of the Guns (2014)
The following photos were sent to us by Michael Farrow. They may not be re-used without his express permission. Click the images to view larger versions.