| Latest Member News
Message from our Committee
2016 marks the centenery of Hood's keel laying. In short, the Mighty Hood is turning 100 this year! As a result of this, there will be several key events taking place over the next few months.
Listed below are some of the key dates our fellow Association members should be aware of:
- Our Annual Reunion - 21 & 22 May, Portsmouth. We're looking forward to seeing fellow members and to presenting the first Richard Doolin Award to a cadet from St Austell.
- Unveiling of Hood's Bell - 24 May, Portsmouth. HRH The Princess Royal, Princess Anne, will unveil Hood's bell and open the Jutland Exhibition.
- Britain at War Magazine 'HMS Hood & Bismarck Anniversary Special" – ‘Britain at War’ magazine is currently featuring a special look at Hood and Bismarck. Its available now.
- Hood Coverage in Iceland – Iceland's TV Ch 1 will feature a report on Hood on 24 May. There will also be an accompanying radio report.
- Centenary of Hood’s Keel Laying – Thursday, 01 Sep 2016, Clydebank College, Scotland.
- Rededication of 50031 Locomotive – Noon, 17 September at Severn Valley Railway, Kidderminster. 50031 locomotive Hood will be rededicated at noon followed by a 1pm ride to Bridgnorth (small group on vintage observation saloon but anyone is welcome to travel on the rest of the train)
Crowdfunding for Film about HMS Hood's Bell Rob White and his Maritime Films UK colleague, Andy Jones, are making a film telling the story of the bell recovered last year from Hood's wreck. Our Association is part-funding the project but, in order to complete the film to the standard required, Rob and Andy are going to launch an appeal for “crowd funding" in late May.
Other Hood-Related News
Although important items are posted here, you can learn the latest Hood-related news more quickly by visiting our Facebook group page.
Updates and Events
Latest Website Update (03-May-2016)
We've updated the following pages:
Our Latest Association Tweet
If nothing is listed, simply scroll down until the next event is displayed.
|How You Can Help
1000/75 Memorial Appeal
We are seeking photos & information to use in our online memorials to the men who died in the sinking of Hood. Our hope to have photos of 1000 men by the time of the 75th anniversary of Hood's sinking in May 2016. We currently only have photos of 905 out of the 1415 lost. If you can contribute, please contact us.
Become a Member/Renew Membership
If you have a sincere interest in preserving the memory of Hood and crew, or are a member who wishes to renew your membership, please click on the button below. See our Membership page for additional information.
Make a Donation
If you have old Hood materials and would like to find them a good home, or if you’d like to contribute financially to the Association’s work, please click on the button below.